Thursday, February 4, 2016

Butternut squash, Ham & Apple Hash

I have never taste Butternut squash before, I could have thought of it in a hash but, this breakfast was so good I must admit I had to think outside the box on this one. The aroma from the garlic, onions, and leeks is indescribably delicious.


Some years ago I made the conscience effort to eat right, choose the right foods, and lower my sugar intake but I haven't always been successful. Awhile back I was vaguely introduced to the Paleo way of eating, I dabbled a little bit in it and found it to be something i could do because it shows alternative ways to get the good carbohydrates, the good fats (coconut oil). For the past week I've committed myself 100% to a 14 day meal plan offered free from Paleoleap.com. The meals are simple, I'm not hungry between meals because the meals are so satisfying. Like this Butternut squash, ham, apple hash had me full all the way until lunch.
the following ingredients makes 2 servings
For this dish I used:

● my Chili infused EVOO for cooking 
* cooking fat can also be used 
● 1/2 Butternut squash peeled, seeded, cut into bit size cubes
● 1cup thick cut deli ham cut into bit size cubes
● 1/2 leek cleaned and sliced
● 1/2 Granny apple peeled and cubed 
● 1/2 onion sliced 
● 1 garlic clove smashed and minced
● 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 
● 1/2 tsp. Paprika 
● 1/2TBSP fresh chopped parsley
● cilantro to garnish
● fine sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste 

● In a large skilletover medium high heat add EVOO, add garlic and onions allow to cook 3 minutes careful not to burn garlic 

● add the squash and leek stirring to get the squash and leek coat (if needed add a little more EVOO), sprinkle with sea salt and pepper mix and cover, allow to cook 7 minutes or until squash is tender (this timing wil depend on how thick your cubes are), stirring half way through to avoid  burning.

● add ham and apple, stir and cook for 5 minutes or until the ham is warm to hot 

● stir in the cinnamon and paprika, cook 3 minutes more
● add parsley, stir completely, remove from heat

● transfer to serving plate, add cilantro to garnish...serve warm topped with an egg

...ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment