Friday, October 9, 2015

Ginger beef lumpias

Wow... I use to make these for my kids when they were young. On my children side of the family exist a rich Phillipino descent and I tried to keep up with their food culture like Pancit, Adobo, Bibingka, and Flan. But, today I called it 'Deep fried Friday'...
 
these are not as complicated as people think, I made these so much it they became apart of the weekly menu when my kids were growing up. Today my daughter Chanel and her friend Aisha stopped by with my granddaughter Dionii (the only granddaughter thus far), and she notice the Lumpia wrappers on the counter defrosting and said, "mom I remember you use to make these a long time ago, I remember you dapping the water around the edges with the water in that little white bowl..." we laughed because that was my favorite little white bowl almost perfect just for that purpose.
 
To make these crispy rolls of beef & veggies you'll need:
****this recipe yield enough filling for approx. 56 Lumpias
 
*1 lb. ground beef 
*1 lb. ground pork
*2 pack Lumpia wrappers thawed and the wrappers seperated
*1/2 head cabbage sliced to shreds
*soy sauce to taste
*approx. 1TBSP crushed garlic + more to taste
*approx. 1 TBSP squeezable ginger + more to taste
*2 large carrots grated
*1 onion diced
*1 medium bag bean sprouts
*1 - 2 TBSP of EVOO
 
Now let's get cooking
-brown the ground beef and the pork sausage together, this will allow the seasoning of the pork and the beef to marry into each other, once the meat is well blended, crumbled, and done set aside (I found that the meat I purchased from the Food Basket didn't produce a lot of dipping) do not drain the drippings well help add the flavor.
 
In a separate lager deep skillet heat the EVOO over medium heat add the onions and cook until for about 5 minutes then add the garlic and ginger stirring to mix well and cook until onion are almost transparent
 
Now, add the cabbage toss and mix well, cook the mixture until well incorporated and cook for about 5 minutes 
 
Now, add the carrots and mix well allowing the mixture to cook and stirring to prevent burning, cook for about 5 minutes
 
Add the meat mixture and its drippings to the vegetable mixture and cook for about 5 minutes or until the cabbage is still crunchy.
 
***At this taste the mixture to see if the flavor is or has come through, your not tasting for saltiness just the flavors: ginger, garlic, and the meat. At this point I stirred in an additional TBSP of garlic and TBSP of ginger ....now taste?
 
Now, add in the bean sprouts and stir until the mixture is fully incorporated. This is the time I checked for saltiness and added Soy sauce to my desired taste, remove from heat and allow the heat from to cook the sprouts and spices to blend in and cool off...about 30 minutes
I
****I was informed that the video portion of this segment is not functioning I do apologize
 
 But, at this time take a lumpia wrapper, fill it with filling and roll in a fashion of a burrito, and continue until finished


Deep fry in vegetable grease an few at time until golden brown
 
...and ENJOY!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment