Friday, January 27, 2017

Korean pancake & spicy soy dipping sauce

I love pancakes just ask my best friend, so when I first tried these pancakes awhile back I just knew I needed the recipe. I thank the chefs at Justonecookbook.com for sharing their incredible version of a savory and delicious pancake and the sauce you're going to needed to double the recipe it is that good. 'Pancakes' they're not just for breakfast anymore.


These pancakes are light, crispy and was enjoyed by my friends I actually had to make another one and doubled the dipping sauce...

***This recipe calls for 'cake flour' but if you don't have cake flour there's a simple way to substitute it like I had to.
*to make 1 cup of the cake flour substitution starts with
• 3/4 cup all purpose flour +
• 2TBSP cornstarch
*sift the two ingredients together then set aside 1/2 cup + 2TBSP to use for the pancake...ok now your ready

Gather all your ingredients and make ready..
for the Pancake filling:
• 1 bunch green onions - about 10
• 1 large egg
• 4 oz medium shrimp, cleaned and deveined *I used 10
• 2TBSP melted coconut oil 

for the Batter:
• 1/2 cup + 2TBSP of cake flour or it's substitute 
• 1/2 tsp.sea salt
• 1/2 cup *COLD water

for the Dipping sauce
**I strongly suggest doubling the sauce
• 1TBSP light soy sauce 
• 1/2 TBSP rice vinegar
• 1 tsp. thinly sliced green onion or chives
• 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
• 1/4 tsp. sesame seeds 
• 1/8 tsp sugar

Start by making the dipping sauce by
• adding all the ingredients in a bowl stir to combine and set aside

**If you're using cake flour substitute sift together
• 3/4 cup AP flour
• 2TBSP cornstarch 
**from that remove 
• 1/2 cup + 2TBSP and set aside

NEXT:

• cut the rooted ends off the green onions, then cut the green onion stalks in half
• beat the egg in a bowl set aside
• in a medium bowl add the cake flour, salt and cold water and mix to combine DO NOT OVER BEAT 

NOW:
• In a non-stick large skillet over medium high heat add coconut oil once pan is heated
• add green onions and shrimps

THEN:
• Pour batter over the green onions and shrimp ensuring that the batter get under and in between them that way everything will stick together and hold in place 

NOW:
• pour the beaten egg over the batter and allow to cook until the edges are brown and the bottom is crispy ***I found it helpful to shift and tilt the skillet to distibute the egg

***when it came to flipping the pancake I  found it easier for me to use a plate
• I sprayed a lager wide plate with cooking spray, placed on top of skillet then it came time to flip the pancake I did then immediately slide it back into the skillet 😉 #yey!!!
• allow to cook 3 -5 mins or until your desired color and crispness 

• slide onto cutting board, cut into pieces and....

No comments:

Post a Comment