Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Salted Caramel Brownie Brittle. ...Crackle, Brittle, or Bark I call these Brittle and my grandson Josiah loved them so it's official they're good.

These crunchy, chocolaty, buttery, Brownies also have the name of 'Brownie Crackle' and 'Brownie Bark', all I know is that they are very delicious. These have a little hint of coffee in them that goes well with the chocolate and caramel in the recipe.

I've been on a chocolate cooking spree lately, so when it came to baking these Brownie Crackle I used a box recipe from Justapinch.com as my baseline and added my yummy goodness to the mix like caramel, sea salt, and chunks of chocolate.


Last week while shopping at Walmart restocking my baking cabinet, I noticed they had brownie mix for a $1.00 not the 'off brand' or the store brand, but the name brand so I threw a few bag in my cart not having a exact plan what to do with them but just to have them on hand 'just in case'. 

On the day I made these I really had no clue what to bake all I knew was I needed to bake something. I looked up brownie recipes, cake recipes but I wasn't feeling the vibe then, I searched brownie cookies and a simple recipe came up and with a few add-in my Brownie Crackle was born. 

Here's what I used:

• 2 bags of Betty Crocker fudge brownie mix ***I removed 2oz as the base recipe called for 18oz ***or just purchase a 18oz box mix
• 1/2 TBSP Fogers instant coffee
• 1/3 cup water
• 1/3 cup of vegetable oil 
• 1TBSP butter flavor
• 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks 
• 1 cup Nestle caramel sauce heated in microwave for easy spreading
***I did not use the entire cup of caramel 
• sea salt ***I 'eyeballed' the amount to my desired tasted

Youll need:
Parchment paper
Offset spatula
Wooden spoon **NOT WHISK
Wide cookie sheet pan
***Preheat oven to 325°


- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper to cover the entire bottom of pan, set aside
- In  large mixing bowl combine everything EXCEPT chocolate chunks, sea salt, and caramel, mix until evenly combined then stir in chocolate chunks 

Now, here comes the fun part:
- pour the mixture onto the prepared cookie sheet
- using the outset spatula spread the mixture out thin making sure its evenly spreaded BUT not all the way to the edge of the pan the mixture will spread out a little more as it cooks

- In a microwaveable bowl heat up caramel sauce in short increments so it don't burn, its ready when its very loose when stirred 
- drop a few dollops atound the mixture, using a wooden skewer soread the caramel around into desired pattern
- now, sprinkle the sea salt on top of caramel 
- place pan in oven and bake until crispy and mostly dry 30 - 40mins.

- *** I  checked mines at the 35min mark, remove from oven, and used a pizza cutter to cut into my desired shape
- return to oven, turn oven off leave in oven until completely cool
- remove from oven, drop the pan on countertop lightly to help break apart brittle or use your hands

ENJOY!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment